Travel Make Up #1

Sunday, 26 January 2014

Make Up Bag - No 7*
Considering how much I travel, I find it a bit mad that I have ever done a travel make up feature on the blog. I thought it was about time that changed, and since I was headed home this weekend for some Harry Potter related adventures, I figured this was the perfect time to start.




BASE

For the base, I generally go for fail safe combinations, that don’t require a bunch of unnecessary products, and I try to stick to liquid or cream formulas rather than powder so that I don’t have to carry round a bunch of brushes. I’ve become very attached to my Bourjois Happy Light Illuminating Primer and as you can probably see it’s very well loved. The packaging is great because although it looks like glass, I’m pretty sure it’s plastic so there’s less worry of spillage. Next up, I went with my new No 7 Essentially Natural Foundation. Long term readers of the blog will know that my favourite base is Revlon Nearly Naked, but that glass bottle is just impractical for travelling. No 7 has slimline, plastic packaging which is great to travel with and is easily applied with fingers. A full review is coming soon so watch this space… For concealer I’ve gone for an all in one kinda’ product in the form of Soap & Glory Kick Ass Concealer. This is a bit of a forgotten gem, but after seeing two of my fav bloggers feature it recently (Lily and Amelia), I dug it out from the depths of my collection for another go. It holds two creamy concealers, one peachy toned to target those pesky under eye circles and a more yellow toned one to target redness and blemishes. To top it all off, the compact also has a small pot of setting powder, (which I believe is their famous One Heck of A Blot translucent powder) to set the super creamy formulas in place. The best part? There’s a dinky mirror in there too, for touch ups on the go. My L’Oreal Lumi Magique Concealer isn’t an essential but in such an easy travel form, this is my go to highlighter for the top of the cheekbones and on the cupid’s bow. Finally for the base, I have two cheek options which can be used together or individually to add a pop of colour to the face. First up is The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzer, which is my favourite bronzer of all time, you can expect to see a review of this baby in the next couple of weeks for full deets but for now I’ll just say that it’s the perfect contour or all over colour - especially for you all you pale gals out there. Last but not least, I’ve got my trusty Topshop Cream Blush in Head Over Heels. I couldn’t get enough of this baby last spring, and my love for it has rekindled itself recently. It has been discontinued I believe, but Flush is a very similar colour. This colour is perfect for that cute, flustered flush and I find it sticks around for a fair while on the skin.

EYES

Starting with brows, I have brought along my trusty Maybelline Brow Drama for the ride. I use this product every day whether I’m filling in my brows or not. I just find that it sets them in place really well and then leaves the job fuss free. For the lids, I went with my Urban Decay Naked Basics palette. Its teeny tiny size makes it perfect for travel, and if I am feeling like filling in those brows the colour Faint is great for it. Other than that, the colours make an easy day to night time look, which makes it a lovely versatile product. If I’m feeling a bit more dramatic, I’ve got my L’Oreal Blackbuster liner to define things a bit. A feline flick is a great way to go from day to night. My final eye product is the Max Factor False Lash Effect mascara, which is the best mascara for those times when carrying around my eyelash curlers isn’t too practical. It adds length, volume and holds a curl better than any other high street mascara I’ve seen. 

LIPS

For lips, there were only ever going to be two choices. For a played down, nude, daytime look my Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Let’s Get Naked is a winner. It’s my perfect nude and super moisturising, so an all round good ‘un. For a more sultry evening look, nothing is better than a red lip. I’ve gone with my Rimmel Apcoalips in Across The Universe, which is a gorgeous classic red with some great lasting power.

What are your travel make up essentials? 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love a travel post - i posted one recently. I love the Urban Decay pallets for travelling, you can guarantee your set for every look - must get my hands on the basics one. Really want to try the Brow Drama too.

    Hope you had a great time at home.

    nlmorgan, lifestyle & beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the Naked Basics pallet at the beginning of the month and I've fallen in love with it. I'm all about neutral colors and the small size works for my makeup routine (I haven't gotten too into shadows yet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the Urban Decay Naked Basics is one of my favourite palettes for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it's so good for starting out with eye make up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've featured so much make-up in the post that I'm dying to try! I love travel make-up posts, I always feel sneaky getting an insight into other people's makeup bags :) xx

    Angelica // One Little Vice

    ReplyDelete