The Guide: Red Lips

Wednesday, 19 February 2014




First of all I would just like apologise for the photographs on this post, for some reason Blogger has completely changed the quality and lighting in them and no matter what I do, it won't change. I have tried to show the products to the best of my ability but it just sucks, has anyone else had this trouble with Blogger?

Secondly, I want to welcome you to a new little feature which I'm calling The Guide, which will help you out when coming to figuring out some of the things we can take for granted a bit in beauty but some people have no clue about. The first instalment is going to be on how to wear a red lip, as my housemate the other week was perusing the aisles of Boots and just had no idea where to start or what would suit her. It occurred to me that for people who aren't overly interested in beauty, but still want to make the effort, a red lip is a difficult thing to grasp and can be a bit daunting. Hopefully this post will lay it all out a bit more clearly...


Revlon ColourBurst Lip Butter in Candy Apple - Perfect for: EVERYONE. 
 The great thing about this shade is that it is very sheer (not as sheer as this photo makes out) and can be worn in the day to add a pop of colour to the lips. The Revlon Lip Butters are really moisturising as well, so if you are just starting to get into red lips then this is a great place to start.

Kate Moss for Rimmel Matte Collection in 107 Wine. Perfect for Cool Skin Tones
 This lipstick is a deep wine colour, which has a blue undertone. Blue or brown undertones in red lipstick are perfect for pale gals like myself because I find it warms up the skin slightly. This one is a matte finish but there are plenty of different finishes out there if matte is not your thing.

Kate Moss for Rimmel Matte Collection in 111 Kiss of Life. Perfect for? Everyone
This is a cracker of a lipstick, because it is a great true red shade, which can be worn by any skin tone. The matte finish of this shade gives it a great classic look and I find it really wearable for evenings out.

Kate Moss for Rimmel Matte Collection in 110. Perfect for Olive skin tones and when you have a tan!
 I love this lipstick for the summer. When you have a bit more colour to your skin, orangey based reds are the best way to go. Of course you can amp up the bronzer to fake it during winter, but this colour really does scream holiday to me. BUT BEWARE - orange based tones can cause teeth to look slightly yellowed (see above) so if you have trouble with that then stick to your blue undertones.

L'Oreal Colour Riche in Scarlett Creme. Perfect for paler gals.
I got this shade around Christmas and it was really the perfect thing for the season. This is a satin finish and a bit more moisturising than the matte finishes, but I have found that against pale skin this baby is a winner. This has a teeny orange undertone, so watch out for that with the teeth thing again. (Love that Blogger has seemingly ruined my teeth in all these photos anyway...)

Rimmel Apocalips in Across The Universe. Perfect for Everyone who can't be bothered to reapply.
 There have been mixed reviews on the longevity of Rimmel's 'liquid lipstick' but I have always found that this sticks around all day. In terms of shading this is slightly orange undertoned, but I think paler gals can still get away with it.

No 7 Stay Perfect Lip Stain in Sultry. Perfect for Staying All Day
When No 7 say this stains the lips, they are 100% correct. This stuff does not budge at all. The balm on the end keeps the moisture up but in terms of colour, this stuff stays the same. The shade of this one is a deep wine colour again, but less bold than the Kate Moss Lipstick. I find that this one is a great day time lip colour.

So there we go, my guide to red lips. Again apologies for the photos, there is nothing more annoying that trying to accurately show a colour for the pictures to be faded anyway. I do have a few posts with the colours in which show up a bit better so I will link those below. In terms of The Guide feature, I have a few posts planned already but is there anything any of you would like to see?

How do you wear a red lip?

Rimmel Apocalips Post- here
L'Oreal Colour Riche Post - here
Rimmel Matte Lipstick in Wine Post - here

3 comments:

  1. I love a red lip, I'm never without one!! Love how youve done them for different skin tones, both the kate moss rimmel ones look fab

    A little bit Unique Blog/Bloglovin/Instagram/Facebook

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah I am obsessed with that range!

    ReplyDelete